Wednesday, July 23, 2008

7/23/08

DEERFOOT
WEDNESDAY

ACORN's Be Heard! Concert Series featuring Omaur Bliss, Gingerjake, Tru Ruts Crew, Autumn Compton and The Most Wanted with DJ Drea, plus speeches from local leaders and voter registration, @ 7th Street Entry, 8 bucks, 6:00. ACORN, or the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, is the nation's largest community organization of low- and moderate-income families, working together for social justice and stronger communities.

Cinema and Civics with The High Crimes followed by a screening of Purple Rain @ Stevens Square Park, zero bucks, 8:00.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and Steve Winwood @ Target Center, 55-99 bucks, 6:30. You know, I complain often about ticket prices but I would consider seeing this show at this price. Consider, but then not do it. But I bet it's going to be a really good show. And now, it's time for you to develop a crush on 60s-era Steve Winwood.









And my final argument:



Unlike others of my sixties-era crushes, he's still looking good on his latest album cover, at sixty.



And moving on...

I do not in any way stand by the validity of this information as I have found conflicting accounts online but I believe Northern Cargo



is playing perhaps though maybe not with Mouth Babies, Red Life, Voidest and Tiger Gash @ Big Vs, 5 bucks, 9:00.

Also, the 10,000 Lakes Festival opens today up in Detroit Lakes.



I'm guessing that if you were planning to go you've already purchased your tickets, but in case this is all news to you here's the scoop:

Four-day music only pass - $120
One-day music only pass - $60
Camping plus four-day pass - $170 plus $50 per vehicle/group entering
VIP campground plus four-day pass - $425 plus $50 per vehicle/group entering
VIP electrical permit (for your phone charger and whatnot I s'pose) - $55


Lineup/schedule details are on the website.

I really like the Flaming Lips a lot and once drove all the way to Oklahoma to see them. But that was when they played their big fancy show in the zoo. They were shooting their live DVD. They had created a large, UFO-type light apparatus out from which they climbed before taking the stage. I learned at a party afterwards that Wayne Coyne had given us a shoutout from the stage though I was too blissed-out on cheap beer and laser pointers - and confetti cannons! and balloons! and people dressed like animals! and oh I'll stop now before I reveal what a geek I am - to notice. In short, what I'm trying to say is that for as much as I love this band, I don't think a festival show in northern Minnesota at $120 is gonna cut it. Although I'm still fan enough to drive out to that place next to Toys R Us to see them when the opportunity presents itself. Laser pointers! Confetti cannons! But Myth does not have cheap beer, and I think their allowed capacity per fire code as compared to how the club is laid out and where people ACTUALLY STAND, YOU KNOW, SO THEY CAN SEE AND HEAR THE BAND is totally fucked up, and then you know what it's like to be a sardine.

Oh and Phil Lesh? Mickey Hart? What was that band they were in oh groan... hey! But here's a long lost memory I've just now remembered! When I was a kid I used to confuse Mickey Hart and Stephen King.



Don't ask me - I was the weird kid who also confused Alan Thicke and Huey Lewis.

No comments: