Monday, July 28, 2008

7/28/08

DEERFOOT
MONDAY

Fat Kid Wednesdays followed by Volcano Insurance followed by Fat Kid Wednesdays @ Turf Club/Clown Lounge/Jazz Implosion, 5 bucks, 10:30 is when the music starts.

Movies in the Park with Mark Mallman followed by screening of All the King's Men @ Loring Park, zero bucks, 7:00.

Kid Dakota @ Barbette, zero bucks, 10:00.

Film School, The Alpha Centauri and Solid Gold @ 7th St Entry, 8 bucks, 8:00.

The Singularity (from California), The Throwaways, The Rock & Roll Whores @ Triple Rock, 6 bucks, 9:00. Rock & Roll Whores...um I think I know some ladies who should be at this. Oh, just joshin' you, friends. (But you know who you are...)

Rancid and MxPx @ Myth, 19.99 bucks (does the penny make a difference? Perhaps this is clever marketing I do not understand from the nightclub that sits next to Toys 'R Us), 7:00. When I think of Rancid I think of the U.K. Subs. When I think of the U.K. Subs I think of their cover of Sabre Dance on 12". I lost this song during the great punk music dump of 1996 when I decided to shun punk in favor of bebop and cool jazz. I get a little weepy whenever someone plays Screeching Weasel on the jukebox at the Triple Rock. When I think of MxPx I think of Jesus. Did I get that right?

Anyway, I haven't heard the U.K. Subs doing Sabre Dance since I was 16. The closest I could find is Love Sculptures. Not bad, but not anywhere near the awesomeness I remember from my pre-jazz days. Hey, I was trying to be a SERIOUS JAZZ BASSIST. I was transcending that punk crap, progressing beyond those schmucks who played their basses with picks, learning Steve Rodby's crazy bass parts with Pat Metheny. Now thinking about Rancid has made me nostalgic for Pat Metheny. But for now I'm listening to the Dixie Chicks. I KNOW YOU'RE TOTALLY ADMIRING MY ECLECTICISM RIGHT NOW. Admit it.



Oh, which Dixie Chicks song? This one.



Good stuff.

And finally, there's some stuff happening at Big V's, right, but they need to update their website(myspace) page so I can confirm the details and not dispense inaccurate information. I would like to recommend Big V's nonetheless - I've been there twice in the last month, my first time back since my ex-boyfriend played in a variety of go-nowhere bands when I was still in college (no offense to my ex-boyfriend's go-nowhere bands, but really, aren't most bands of the go-nowhere variety? And moving on...). The door guy upon first visit talked shit about the short hair I sported on my ID, and last night talked shit about politics. I was told by strangers that I have great calves and a pretty face (and that passerby on University at midnight is an expert on pretty faces, he knows pretty faces, per his disclaimer before he stumbled away to the next dive, toothpick dangling from lip). Encounters like this immediately endear me to a place in spite of its 110 degree sticky interior, and make me glad we've become reacquainted. Oh, and the ladies' bathroom is clean. Speaking relatively, of course. A male friend went across the street to Perkins to use the bathroom which either means the men's bathroom is nasty, or he needed to take a big dump. I cannot speak authoritatively on this matter.

No comments: