Saturday, October 4, 2008

Drunk Show Review 10/3/08 Triple Rock

Rather, sober review of notes written while drunk.

Magic Castles, The Dad In Common, Marvelle and The Knotwells
Triple Rock, Friday 10/3/08

Transcribed, glaring spelling and grammatical errors removed, and apologies in advance for changing verb tenses:

Knotwells: walked in a little late. My friend ditched me. Had to wait for her then finish my drink, that's my excuse. Goddamn it! I usually am not too worked up over missing any of the opening band but as soon as I walked in I sensed I shouldn't have waited on her ass - this band is fun! and not your typical crowd for an opener (read: a few disaffected girlfriends). I saw a floor of enthusiastic fans (hmm...though many of them female so perhaps these five dudes are popular with the ladies. Or old school LDSers). Anyhoo the crowd was big for an opener, and digging it. As for the music... I checked the old myspace to see if I could gather whether this was Knotwells or the 2nd band (I had waited for my deadbeat friend for a while y'know) - Knotwells. Their myspace description is apt - "Punk/Americana/Dub." Fun music, and the dudes looked like they were having a good time.

So far I am relatively sober. One Jameson down.

Marvelle: Thar's a fiddle up thar and someone doin' art. I don git it.

Are those bats or crows? Whoa and a moustachioed woman smoking weed? Two and a half Jamesons down.

Discussed going to Sodak for pheasant hunting with Patrick at the bar. Plans made for late October.

Dad In Common: I can't comment at length because of conflict of interest, but I'll say that the first time I saw them, at the Hex, they mentioned something about how they hardly ever leave Northeast, and that made me sad. Suffice it to say, they are good and you should check them out. Dynamic. Mellow. Good musicians. Again, conflict of interest. I won't gush over my good friend and colleague.

Another Jameson down.

Notice how my reviews get substantially shorter as the night wears on? It's because I'm drunk and I'm gonna go get laid!

As such, I'm ducking out before

Magic Castles: play. But I've seen them before, at that late Entry show during the RNC. They are good, I endorse them - K I'm off to find sex and more drinks and perhaps a cab or magic car now. Bye!


Postscript: I hate doing show reviews. But if you request a drunk show review, I will happily deliver.
-sp

No comments: