Saturday, July 12, 2008

7/12/08

DEERFOOT
SATURDAY

The Hopefuls, Action Versus Action and The Invincible Kids @ Triple Rock, 5 bucks, 9:00. Remember when they wore tracksuits? Life seemed simpler then.

First Communion Afterparty (CD Release Show), Gospel Gossip and Flavor Crystals @ the Entry, 6 bucks, 8:00. A friend recently told me that at a public outing all the kids were dressed all First Communion Afterparty. I guess this means they've made it big. It also means I'm old and out of touch because I didn't have the slightest idea what he meant by that.

Mark Knopfler @ Orpheum Theatre, 65-110 bucks, 7:30. At those ticket prices, I'm willing to bet that cube men moving refrigerators and color TVs will not be in attendance this evening.

Blue Ox, Castle, the Smoke & Mirrors Band (Sioux Falls) and Vernal Pool, with alternate accounts also billing The Funeral and The Twilight @ Stasiu's, 5 bucks, 9:00. Show up, be really surprised.

Bastard Saint, Sturgeon Valley Nights, Bloodcow and Guzzlemug @ Hexagon, zero bucks, 9:00. Free metal = awesome, kickass.

Spaghetti Western String Co. and Jelloslave @ Kitty Cat Klub, zero bucks, 9:00.

Charlie Parr and The Floorbirds @ the Nomad, 5 bucks, 9:00. When I go to see Charlie Parr there's always a small girl standing right by my ear shouting "hoop! hoop! hoop! hoop!" while stomping her feet and clapping her hands. I appreciate the enthusiasm, small girl, and yes it is good music, but if you hoop in my ear I will punch at your nose. I don't make threats; I make promises. When the hooping becomes too much for these ears, deafened by too many metal shows, well, noses get punched or if I'm feeling generous little toes get smashed by pointed heels. Please redirect your hooping toward the stage. We are not at a sparsely-attended outdoor hoe-down; we are in a shoulder-to-shoulder-packed indoor urban music venue. Thanks, enthusiastic small girl.

No comments: