Monday, July 14, 2008

7/14/08

DEERFOOT
MONDAY

It's pretty platitudinal to say the Beatles are the greatest band ever or that Ringo is your favorite Beatle, no? Sure, I love the Beatles. Ringo is most definitely not my favorite Beatle because you can march to all the songs he wrote and that shtick gets a little tiresome. At any rate, to go on about them isn't all that original, unless of course you're arguing with someone who claims the Beatles were insignificant and not-all-that good in which case you just have to pull out a "go listen to (insert any one of a number of really good Beatles songs here) and get over yourself already," OR you pull out a really great argument in defense of Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. I've yet to hear anyone go on at length about the significance of Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. I've had some great conversations about Ringo's great post-breakup solo stuff, including these Top Ten Hits:




It Don't Come Easy (warning: Ringo is so incredibly cute in this video that you might develop a little crush)


alternately,


Back Off Boogaloo


Photograph (I hereby terminate your crush as you see that people age, do questionable things with their hair)


You're Sixteen (to be fair, he was only 33 when this song came out)


No No Song (yeah, he's pretty much the cutest Beatle and I see why he received the most fan mail)


I've also had serious conversations about how Ringo made a better Mr. Conductor than George Carlin, rest his soul.

But I've never heard anyone extol that All-Starr Band.

Well, they're big alright and their show tonight at Mystic Lake, with tickets going for $75-89, is SOLD OUT.

Here's what you're missing out on, as the current incarnation of the All-Starr Band includes:

Billy Squier


Colin Hay


Hamish Stuart


Edgar Winter


Gary Wright


and session drummer Gregg Bissonette


I'm kicking myself for not getting tickets to this. I hypothesize however that in spite of that other remaining Beatle's vegetarian lifestyle, Ringo's gonna outlive him and I'll get my chance yet. Just hope Edgar Winter's not playing with the band at that point - dude creeps me out!

Also tonight...

The Alarmists @ Loring Park followed by screening of Duck Soup, zero bucks, 7:00.

Jazz Implosion @ Turf Club, 5 bucks, 9:00.

The Kickback (Vermillion, SoDak), Casanatra, All The Way Rider and Prozac Rat @ 400 Bar, 5 bucks, 9:00.

Big Trouble @ Barbette, zero bucks, 10:00.

No comments: